Bok Choi salad (From Common Thread Member Kristy Lenuzza)
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 pkg chicken flavored ramen noodles
- 1 packet seasoning from ramen noodles
- 1 c slivered almonds
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 bunch bok choi
- 2 bunches scallions (use green and white parts)
- 1/2 bunch Chinese cabbage (or napa cabbage)
- 1/2 c veg oil
- 1/4 c cider vinegar
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- Melt stick of butter and sauté sesame seeds, noodles (broken up) and seasoning packet for 2-3 min.
- Cut up bok choi, scallions and cabbage.
- Put greens in large bowl, add sesame seed mixture and almonds.
- Mix dressing together and toss with the greens.
Beef and Bok Choi (and Broccoli if available)
- Bok choi, broccoli, and carrots
- Stew beef
- Oil (toasted sesame oil is good for some of the oil)
- Soy sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Corn starch
- Uniformly slice a mix of carrots, broccoli and bok choi (separating the leaves from the stems).
2. In a large heavy pan, sauté some garlic and ginger in olive oil.
3. Add stew beef (which is easy to find locally raised and grass fed) sliced thin and brown, then remove from the pan.
4. Add a little more oil (toasted sesame oil is nice at this point), and sauté vegetables starting with the carrots, adding the broccoli and bok choi stems aiming to have all the vegetables cooked al dente at the same time.
5. When the vegetables are cooked, add the beef back.
6. Add soy sauce, honey, and apple cider vinegar to taste and simmer for a few minutes
7. Add 2 Tbsp of corn starch dissolved in a half cup of water, and the bok choi leaves.
8. Put the lid on and turn down the heat until the leaves are cooked and the corn starch has thickened the base.
9. Serve over rice