Lettuce Soup (Thanks to Common Thread member Katherine Collett, adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/lettuce-soup-recipe2/index.html)Great for when the lettuces get ahead of you! And surprisingly lettuce-flavored!
Cook in 2 Tbsp olive oil:
1 sliced or chopped onion
1 chopped clove garlic
until onion is translucent.
Add 2 heads lettuce, tornato, and (optional) parsley, chives, tarragon.
Stir till lettuce is wilted (~3 minutes)
- Add 3 c. chicken stock (or water with a spoonful of Better Than Bouillon, any variety). Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put soup in batches through a food processor or blender.
- Stir in 1/2 c. heavy cream or evaporated milk or yoghurt.
- Heat through, adding salt and pepper to taste (not much salt if you used Better Than Bouillon).
- Serve with fresh herb or chive blossom garnish.